Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -AssetTrainer
Rekubit-John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:20:30
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry,Rekubit and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish